Hotel management and Catering TechnologyAs the infrastructure of India is improving day by tourism sector has picked up the pace as well. This has led to growth in related industries such as transport and hotel industry. Consequently hotel industry requires skilled and hard working persons to serve the guests. There are various institutes and colleges which are running courses to train people to serve the industry.
There is a large range of courses related to hotel management and catering technology. Institutes offer certificate / diploma courses and degree courses as well. Minimum required eligibility for certificate courses is 10th standard pass. For admission in bachelor degree student must have passed 10+2. Graduation in any discipline is required for post graduate diploma.
Hotel industry is a part of service sector. Hotels need trained and skilled candidates who can serve the guest in efficient manner. After finishing the course the candidate may start his/her career with hotel industry. Candidate may join hotel’s any division like Catering, Sales and Security, Operations, Front office, House keeping, Engineering, Food and Beverage, Maintenance, Service keeping or Accounting as per his/her specialization. There are various renowned hotels which provide good salary to the candidates.
Certificate courses, diploma courses and degree courses are available in hotel management and catering technology. Some of the courses are:
• Certificate course in hotel management
• Post Graduate Diploma in hospitality
• Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
• B. Sc. In Nutrition, Food Service Management, Dietetics
• Master in Hotel Management (MHM)
Course duration for certificate/diploma courses is 6-12 months. Duration of bachelor degree is three years and two years for master degree. Institutes and colleges offer numerous courses related to various fields of hotel industry. Some of the fields are:
• Front office maintenance
• House keeping
• Food Production
Premier institutes and colleges of Hotel Management
There are various institutes and colleges running hotel management courses. Few premier institutes are:
• NCHMCT Pusa
• Bundelkhand University, School of Tourism & Management, Jhansi, (Uttar Pradesh)
• Christ College, Bangalore, (Karnataka)
• Srinivas College of Hotel Management, Mangalore, (Karnataka)
• WGSHA. Manipal
• Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Bangalore, (Karnataka)
• Oberoi Centre, Delhi
• Anand Institute of Management Science (AIMS), Anand, (Gujarat)
• Institute of Advanced Management (IAM), Kolkata, (West Bengal)